Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

What a difference a week makes

A week ago I was at a real low.  Really struggling.  But this past week has been so different & I feel so much better about life in general.  What has changed???

1.  Mark & I are on the same school schedule.  We had been opposite, which meant we had been like passing ships.  He was going to school from 8-12.... I was playing tag-team with the kids-- taking care of kiddos in the morning & early afternoon, then my spanish lesson was from 3-5:30.  For those of you who don't know me well, I'm completely worthless in the late afternoon.  This is naptime/rest time at our house and that includes mommy.  So for me to have to engage in learning a second language during that time of day was rather brutal for my brain & body.  For two weeks I did not have any time to myself & I was about to lose my mind.  This past week, my lessons were from 8-10:30.....oh my.... so much better.  I can think in the morning.  Lots of coffee & I'm good to go.  Plus I have had my afternoons to be with Mark, rest, run errands, enjoy the city, etc.  And that's exactly what I've done.

2.  Last Monday I went grocery shopping to the market & grocery store.... not restful, but necessary & nice to be able to take care of the necessary for my family.  Last Tuesday Mark, Nina & I hopped in the car (exciting) & went on an adventure into Guatemala City to Walmart!!!  I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO EXCITED TO GO TO WALMART!!!!!  I purchased the afore mentioned pajamas for Dancing Beauty.... now she is warm at night!  We also bought necessities such as towels, washcloths, toiletries, and 6 dressers to hold our clothes for the year (aka large plastic storage boxes) and a few other items for our life in the Ulpan Valley.  Wednesday, I rested.  Delightful!!  Thursday we went on a field trip with our school to the Jade Factory.  It was really interesting and we learned a lot about jade and also a bit more about Mayan history.  Friday, Mark had a meeting and Cata & Nina had to run an errand.  The kids were all resting & I had a miraculous 2 hours all to myself....what a difference that makes!!!

Saturday was a really great day.  We are in a really wonderful city right now, so I've been wanting to get out a bit & enjoy it.  We did that.  As a family, including Nina & Cata (Nina's sister), we walked to a gorgeous hotel in the city (Hotel Santo Domingo) and let the kids walk around in the beautiful courtyard and visit the macaws, etc.  Little Man has decided he wants to own a macaw.  Not sure that will happen, but he can hope! 

Then we went out for ice cream, headed home & had a restful afternoon. 
our appetizer-- chiles rellenos
That night, Mark & I went out for a much needed date.  However, before we left the chiles rellenos being cooked in the kitchen were much too enticing, so we had an appetizer before we left home.  Oh my..... so delicious!!!  Mark & I questioned why we were going out for dinner when such a delicious meal had been prepared at our house, but we could say that every night.... and it was really good to get away and have a good long conversation... first time we had been alone in over 3 weeks!!  It was good.


I really wish you could see the gardens we were looking at.... it was absolutely gorgeous!!!
So...that's our week in a nutshell....we both passed on first Spanish exams, so we're moving along!  We've even made friends with a really friendly taxi driver in Antigua which is wonderful when you have tons of groceries to carry on a 25 minute walk-- choices:  walk 1 hour every day to the market to buy just what you need for the day or make one giant trip once a week-- taxis are our friend!     

1 comment:

  1. Lovely pictures. I'm glad this has been a better week. I showed Bit the above the pic of the volcano and she's so jealous. Crazy girl.

    ReplyDelete