Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Learning to knit

I have more free time living here than I ever imagined.  This has been both a blessing and also a struggle for me (more on the struggle in a later post)...but it has caused me to pick up a new hobby...knitting.  I have been a novice knitter for years, but with the arrival of one new niece a month ago and another arriving a month from now, I decided baby blankets need to be made.  It has also given me opportunity to get to know one of my housemates, Flori.  She is the nurse who lives and works here, but she only speaks Spanish & Q'chi, so it's been challenging to get to know her.  She wants to learn how to knit, so I've begun to teach her.    Knitting has also been a great thing to do when ladies come up to our house just to sit and talk.  Since we can't really talk because they all speak Q'chi, it at least provides some entertainment for them to sit and watch me knit.  I am thankful for knitting because it has been one thing that has given me joy while here.


No comments:

Post a Comment