Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Unexpected Homecoming

We found out Monday that my grandfather passed away.  This was not a surprise, we knew that this was a possibility because he has been very sick for several months and was 93.  My initial reaction was that we would stay put.  Before we left, my parents told us that they were okay if we did not come back if Granddaddy passed away, so that was my first reaction.  Then my infinitely more emotionally tuned wife told me that because I was the only grandson that I was going. After a night of sleeping on it I told her that I agreed, it was probably important for me to be there.  She quickly responded, "Please don't leave us here - we will be fine but it will kill me to know that you are with the whole family."  So we started looking at tickets on our excrutiating slow internet connection and they were really expensive - twice what we paid to get here. Then we had the idea of trying switch our return flight and then purchasing new tickets for next week to Christmas.  I got on the phone with AMEX/Delta and they were wonderful.  They made all the arrangements and changes in less than an hour and now we are sitting in the GUA airport waiting to board our flight home. Some friends of my family (the Valverdes) let us stay in their home in Gua City last night and gave us a ride to the airport. 
We are very grateful to get to spend this time with my family and remember my grandfather.
We will update you soon on our experiences in the valley.
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment